Skip to content

FAQ – Corporate

Home > FAQ > Corporate

Dutch tax FAQ: corporate & company taxes

Dutch rules for corporate and company taxes are as complicated as you might expect – but they are often specific to the Netherlands and that is where you can use some help.

As a startup entrepreneur or corporate entity, or a foreign exporter looking to set up a business in Holland, it is good to have someone who is on your side and knows a thing or two about company taxes in NL.

For a detailed overview of starting up a business in the Netherlands, feel free to download our White Paper offered in the link below.

Or have a quick browse through our FAQ questions for common questions on startups in the Netherlands.

Invisible content of item.

A one-man company, which is a tax transparent company, should be registered with the Chamber of Commerce. The Chamber of Commerce will update the Dutch tax office. The Dutch tax office will then send you messages and notifications. That’s the time you contact us!

Yes you can, and the day it is registered it will be subject to tax like a regular Dutch BV company. This means you may qualify for the 30% ruling if you meet the relevant conditions.

If you meet the conditions of the 30% ruling, you can have the 30% ruling. The fact that you are the shareholder of the BV that is employing yourself does not affect your rights to the 30% ruling, so yes, you can apply for the ruling.

No. You can deduct mortgage interest, study costs and charity donations. If you feel that some work-related costs should be deducted, then the tax office will advise you to ask your employer for reimbursement.

Tricky question, as banks make it very difficult or impossible for companies where the shareholder is not a Dutch tax resident. For companies where the owner and/or director is a Dutch tax resident, opening a bank account should not be a problem.

The minimum is EUR 0,01 but since you cannot purchase anything for EUR 0,01 we recommend that you add up the initial expected costs before you make a turnover and use that amount as share capital.

The notary does and we would very happy to assist you in the process.

The decision has to be entered in the minutes of the shareholders’ meeting, then the books need to be updated, the Chamber of Commerce process has to be followed, and if all goes well, then two months later the BV will be liquidated.

This depends on whether your partner actually carries out work for the company. If so, then you can.

Find out more about company taxes in the Netherlands