Keizersgracht 62

1016 CS Amsterdam

+31 (0)20 520 7991

Lines close at 4pm

Mon-Fri: 9am - 5pm

Our office hours

2017 income tax return


Soon the 2017 income tax return can be filed. How does that work?

When do you need to file the 2017 income tax return?

The income tax return needs to be filed by anybody to whom an income tax return has been issued. Most of the time an income tax return is issued to you when you have a company. If you are employed and only have employment income, there is no need to file, as the employer has withheld enough wage tax already.

The exception to the employee not needing to file is when the employee has a tax partner. A tax partner is a person to whom you are married, or own together the house you live in, have children with or are registered partners with. That non working partner could get the non working partner refund.

The moment you purchased a house, you are obliged to file an income tax return, as the house is regarded a source of income. Actually, for you it is a source of refund. Even if you have the 30% ruling and you own a property in the Netherlands you rent out, then the exception to this rule is that you still need to pay the so called Box 3 tax over the property. Also when you are no resident of the Netherlands, but you do own a property in the Netherlands, you need to file a Dutch income tax return for Box 3.

What if no 2017 income tax return is issued to me?

If no income tax return is issued to you and you are aware you need to file, then you need to act yourself and file the income tax return not later than two weeks after the May 1 deadline.

How do you know that  you need to file the 2017 income tax return?

All residents in the Netherlands are to know the law, but honestly, a lot don’t.  Bottom line is that you are to file if you have a source of income other than Dutch employment, maybe foreign employment, that is part of the Dutch income tax return due to the fact that you are a Dutch resident tax payer. Or you have more than about EUR 25.000 in worldwide assets, and that is EUR 50.000 with your tax partner. Then you need to pay so called Box 3 income tax.

2017 Income tax return

Who can file your income tax return?

Basically you start with yourself, or you ask anybody. The problem with anybody is that in case of an expat or non native Dutch person, you might file an incorrect tax return. We recommend:

Orange Tax Services

Of course. We have a fixed fee of EUR 370 incl VAT for private individuals and if you have a tax partner, your tax partner is included in the fee. When you are an entrepreneur, then our fee is EUR 500 ex VAT. These are fixed fees, so you can expect no additional charge will be in the invoice.

Our aim is to file as soon as we have received all the information from you. That can be the next day or within a week.

Please contact us at when you provide already your name, address, date of birth, Dutch tax number (BSN) and that of your tax partner, plus possible children, we can start more quickly. In addition we would like to receive the annual income statements issued to you from employment, possible mortgage and other institutes.



Reach out to us on Social Media

Recent posts

Get The Latest Updates

Subscribe To Our Weekly Newsletter

No spam, notifications only about new products, updates.

Expats in NL podcast featuring Arnold!

Main pages overview

On Key

Related Posts

2024 tax assessment

2024 tax assessment

The 2024 tax assessment. Maybe you already received it, and the year hardly began! Can I not simply ignore it? No you cannot. Here is